Top 10 “Emergency Preparedness Tips”
With the recent natural disasters that have occurred around the world, it is important for everyone to start preparing themselves. During an emergency, you may not have access to assistance for upwards of 72 hours. In order to be better prepared, Genesis Security Group presents the Top 10 “Emergency Preparedness Tips”.
- It’s important to know the natural disasters that can occur in your region in order to anticipate what your needs may be. Examples of natural disasters include: avalanches, earthquakes, extreme weather, and floods.
- Create an emergency plan for you and your family. Information to cover and discuss should be: location of the fire extinguisher, the exit route, establish a meeting spot outside the home where everyone can meet in the event you are separated. Also have a list of contacts of who can pick up your child if you are unable to.
- Practice emergency preparedness procedures such as “duck and cover” (earthquake), “stop drop and roll” (fire), and how to exit in a timely manner.
- Pets are not usually allowed in the emergency shelters, so make prior arrangements to ensure your pet is safe.
- Check with your local community centre, and familiarize yourself with the emergency evacuation plan.
- Prepare a basic emergency kit. Make sure you have water to last three days, non perishable food items, batteries, flashlights, battery operated radio, emergency contact list, first aid kit, and clothing.
- Replenish the emergency kit every six months. Check expiry dates on food and batteries, and ensure contact lists are correct.
- Evaluate and make sure your insurance policies are up to date and cover disasters that are common in your region.
- It is important that an emergency contact list is placed on the fridge and by the phone to ensure that they are accessible. Also make sure if you have smaller children they understand to call 911 in an emergency situation.
- The key to staying safe during an emergency situation is to stay calm and focused and follow your plan.
If you have questions or comments post below and the Genesis Security Expert will respond.
Additional Reference Links: